“This is the best thing I can do for my family while I’m in here. Even though I can’t be home, I’m with them every night.”
– jailed parent in The Literacy Link program
“I should be leaving tomorrow… so I just wanted to thank you for helping me leave a better dad than I came in.”
– Dad in parent education class
The Literacy Link brings a variety of parent education and coaching programs to boost parents’ nurturing skills.
Dialogic Reading and Coaching Workshops – Online and in-person workshops for caregivers that encourage active literacy practices.
Visitation Lobbies – Interactive resources for caregivers and children are provided while waiting.
Electronic Tablets – Parenting and family strengthening materials are uploaded onto facility tablets for incarcerated parents to use.
Parenting Inside Out – Parents in jail are offered this evidence-based parenting program.
WHY PARENT EDUCATION AND SUPPORT MATTERS
- Parents learn the importance of using reading as a tool for positive interactions.
- The workshops and tablets teach parents techniques to improve their parenting and relationship skills with their family.
- Children receive a book while visiting their parents, and are allowed to take it home to build their own library.
- Parenting Inside Out is an evidence-based parenting program that has shown to reduce recidivism among incarcerated parents.